Which Whitening Soap Is Right For You? Kojic Acid, Glutathione Or Arbutin?

Whitening soap comparison: should I use Glutathione, Kojic or Arbutin soap? Well, there are a few factors to consider when it comes to choosing the right skin whitening soap. I’ll help you find the best one for you.

1. Skin Type – Do you have a normal, sensitive or combination skin?

NormalGlutathione, Kojic and Arbutin. Individuals who have normal skin can basically use all three soaps because of the fact that their skin isn’t picky. Leave the whitening soap for about 2-3 minutes then exfoliate using a sponge/loofah for best results. Skin whitening soaps have the tendency to make your skin dry so please use either lotion or cream after using the soap.

Sensitive – Arbutin or Kojic soap are your two options. Arbutin is gentle yet powerful when it comes to skin whitening. Kojic Acid soap is very strong, however, it can be used by people who have sensitive skin but with extreme caution. I strongly encourage you to use for only 30 seconds or up to 1 minute max. In addition, start using the kojic soap maybe 2-3 times a week as a starter before using it everyday to get your skin used to it. Both of these whitening soaps will dry your skin so to be on the safe side, use a heavy lotion or cream after using it.

Combination –  You can use all three skin whitening soaps with moderation. This skin type is the combination of normal and sensitive skin. I would suggest to use the soaps between 30 seconds to 1 minute.

Note: For best results, exfoliate using a sponge or loofah after leaving the soap on your skin (see timeframes listed above). Exfoliation is one of the things that you have to do in order to remove the dead skin cells so that the ingredients can deeply penetrate your skin. This will produce a much faster result. In addition, either use a heavy lotion or cream to moisturize your skin as skin whitening soaps have the tendency to give you that “ashy skin” look. Also, if you want to lighten your skin tone, then use a skin whitening cream or lotion to achieve better results.

2. What is your skin problem/concern? Always ask yourself what exactly you’re trying to achieve.

I want to lighten my skin – Kojic soap is number one when it comes to skin lightening, followed by Glutathione then Arbutin.

I have skin blemishes that I want to get rid of and lighten my skin at the same time – Glutathione and Kojic soaps are tied on this one. The reason being is because both are good exfoliators. They both have ingredients that microexfoliates the skin to remove the dead skin cells to reveal a clearer, brighter and lighter skin. After exfoliation, it deeply penetrates the skin to lighten it and to prevent melanin (dark pigment) from coming back.

3. Where should you buy the product or which brand should you buy?

As everyone knows, there are numerous brands of whitening soaps out there. But really, how do you know which one should you purchase? Well, let’s take a look.

1. Should I buy an unlabeled/unbranded skin whitening soap?

I would say no. Why? It’s because you don’t know exactly what’s in it.

What do you think is the reason why it’s unlabeled? Could it be because there are ingredients on the product that the manufacturer doesn’t want you to know about? Possibly.

Could it be harmful and cause damage to your skin? More than likely. If the soap damages your skin, the only way to correct it is to go to a dermatologist. But the problem is, it’s going to cost you hundreds, if not thousands of dollars just to cure your skin problem. Who would want to go through that?

How come it doesn’t have any contact info of the manufacturer who made it? It’s because they don’t want you to come after them if something happens to your skin. Of course, they don’t want to be liable for it and this is why you don’t see any of their information on the soap.

2. Which brand should I buy?

There are alot of legitimate companies out there that make skin whitening products like Marie France, Diana Stalder, Skinwhite, Likas, etc. You can go online to find where you can purchase these products. However, please make sure that you are buying an authentic product. These products are very popular and there are thousands of fake products surrounding the market right now. Try to go to the official site of these companies to find an authorized distributor in your area.

Marie France – store.mariefranceinternational.com or you can buy the kojic soap directly here.

Diana Stalder – http://www.swisse-phil.com/dianastalder/index.php/where-to-buy. Buy the Papaya soap here.

Likas – www.likas.com

Skinwhite – www.skinwhite.com

whitening soap guide

Lastly, please subscribe to my blog for more skincare tips and be the first to see my before and after pictures!

97 comments for “Which Whitening Soap Is Right For You? Kojic Acid, Glutathione Or Arbutin?

1. Basirat Olamide ISHOLA
    October 19, 2016 at 9:01 am

Hello, am someone with a very sensitive skin and I just started using Gluthatione soap a week ago a friend prescribed it for me because my face has gone from a slight acned one to a massive acne on my eye area and a huge pimples outbreak which i never had before until now. Please i need you advice should I continue use as my face feels so dry and peppery and reddish.

October 25, 2016 at 9:20 pm

Do you moisturize your skin afterwards? If so, does your moisturizer have alcohol or any kind of acid in it? This might be the cause of redness and that “peppery” feel. Also, your skin might be very sensitive. I would suggest top stop using it for now and see a dermatologist asap.

2. Alyszie
    September 12, 2016 at 1:08 am

can i use whitening soap? im 13

September 28, 2016 at 9:49 pm

Hey Alyszie! I wouldn’t suggest it. I was your age when I started experimenting on skin whitening stuff and it didn’t go well. I actually got more acne. I guess it’s also because I’m acne-prone and have a sensitive skin. Why do you want to use kojic soap anyway?

3. johnny
    June 16, 2016 at 4:32 am

Am using for the first time this soap ill bring any side effect ?? If no tell me how to use plz

July 12, 2016 at 11:46 pm

Not sure what you mean.

4. Farhana
    December 9, 2015 at 5:33 am

hey I bought gluta powerpeel soap yesterday and i used twice then. Today is my 2nd day of using hat soap and I haven’t experienced any difference yet but I had a bit reddish rash on a little portion of my cheek. I just want best whitening result. I’m using now lakme sunblock with spf 24++. I’ve got indian skin tone fair

December 10, 2015 at 11:12 pm

Hi Farhana. Unfortunately, I cannot give you an advice on this brand because I’ve never tried it before. However, redness is a common side effect of peeling soaps.

5. Pearl Alayon
    October 6, 2015 at 9:56 pm

Hello,

Whould like to ask for your help, im using kojic soap from royale, it had a good effect because it whitens my skin, I experienced micro peeling, however it made my skin so dry. I used gluta power form royale also and I mixed it with black & white lotion to moisturize my skin, after a week of using the said lotion, ive noticed that my skin look darker. Wondering why im getting this effect though im using both whitening lotion products. Till now I can still see the micro peeling. I really need your help, do I have to change my lotion? But it really made me wonder because on my friends both gluta & black&white lotion made their skin whiter.

Hoping for you response, I really need your help.

Thankyou.

October 10, 2015 at 1:18 pm

Hi Pearl. Do you stay under the sun/heat while using the products?

6. October 6, 2015 at 3:26 pm

Where can I buy cosmetics grade of glutathione, abutin and kojic acid for private cosmetics preparation. Thanks.

October 10, 2015 at 1:17 pm

Are you talking about the raw material or finished product?

7. Lela
    September 16, 2015 at 9:03 am

Can anyone help me pls I just got the kojic with gluta soap made in Philippines, I needs to know what kind of lotion should I use after I apply the soap pls ??

September 18, 2015 at 9:48 am

You can use any brand you prefer.

8. August 30, 2015 at 12:45 pm

Could anyone pls give me a address or link for buying marie france products in al khober Saudi Arabia??

9. ghadah
    June 23, 2015 at 9:04 pm

Hi,
    Can you please give me the official site for marie france brand ?

• June 23, 2015 at 11:53 pm

store.mariefranceinternational.com

10. June 15, 2015 at 11:59 am

Some few things i want to know…using kojic acid soap for 1 or 2 years..is that safe??or that can cause skin darkening?? And could u give me any review about derma formulated glutathione day cream with rosehip oil and spf 50??if that product is good fighting sun damage and pigmentation???

• June 16, 2015 at 12:27 am

I’ve never tried that kind of cream before, therefore, I couldn’t give you any comments/reviews. As far as I know, the only time it would cause skin darkening is if you use it and then stay under the sun.

• June 16, 2015 at 2:09 am

I generally don’t go under d direct sunlight…bt from few days i have to stay in a girls hostel..and its non ac!! Do u think living in non ac could be a problem??nd d temperature is 30degree Celsius…if i use a spf 50 sunblock even inside d house cause that is non ac..u think that will work??thanx for ur replies… they r a lot helpful 🙂

• June 17, 2015 at 1:17 am

Oh no that’s probably it! it’s the temperature. Not sure if sunblock would help. It’s so hot where I am right now and I noticed that my skin is darker that what it used to be. I seriously believe that the temperature affects your skin tone as well and not just sunlight.

• June 19, 2015 at 3:37 pm

Glutathione does have irritation like Kojic acid In first time use ??

• June 19, 2015 at 6:35 pm

It could cause irritation especially if you have sensitive skin but it really depends on your skin type. When I tried to use it before, it made my skin very itchy. The solution was to put heavy moisturizer and you’re al set.

• June 20, 2015 at 3:58 am

Thnx 🙂
                When i m using glutathione soap,should i stop my kojic soap or continue both altering??i think after using kojic for a long time now my skin becomes very thin ,,nd its causing skin problems…
                Should i stop using or reduce using into once a week?? From last 2days stopped kojic and using glutathione..its working i think..but leaving kojic for very long period like months, that could be a bad idea 🙁 suggest me.. 🙂

• June 22, 2015 at 10:06 pm

It is true that it might make your skin thinner if you’ve been using the kojic soap for quite sometime. The reason for this is because it micro exfoliates/ micro peels the skin. If you see results by alternating the use of these two soaps. then go ahead and continue using it.

• June 23, 2015 at 6:49 am

Relumins advanced white glutathione soap stem cell therapy
            Is working pretty well improving my brownies look caused by temperature 🙂 ..after jst 2days of using i m feeling fresh with a red blush on my chicks.. after long use of kojic soap,that wasn’t working bt d glutathione is working.. bt i wont drop my kojic soap ,,gonna use weekly!!hope that will working well.
            One thing i m confused,,d temperature is 25 to 30 degree Celsius …so d glutathione or kojic soap could damage?? Should i refrigerate them or in a poly bag away from light will help?? I mean how to store?

• June 23, 2015 at 11:57 pm

Which brand of kojic soap are you using? Hot weather might cause skin redness, which is a temporary side effect of using these whitening soaps. I would suggest refrigerating the soaps especially the kojic soap since kojic acid oxidizes very quickly when sitting in hot weather. I’m really not a fan of “stem cell” soaps or any skincare products that has stem cell in it. I was watching a Filipino TV show before and the doctor said that stem cell is only effective if it’s done through a medical procedure.

• June 24, 2015 at 4:27 am

Thnx for d stem cell info..that is helpful.actually i don’t know much about stem cell..i bought that relumins soap jst because thats a glutathione soap..nd d ingredients shows that it also contains kojic nd goats milk..i was very satisfied with my kojic soap (ds papaya kojic soap),,was in love with my skin..bt i perched a 2nd ds soap from d same saler dis may..nd d weather was very hot 30degree Celsius 🙁 nd d soap started not working properly..now i actually dont know d soap got damaged or temperature reacts with my skin..skin becomes very dry..i kept trying with my kojic soap to get result like i got before..but nothings work,,i also recognize my extra thin skin ..so decided to switch with gluta soap..this soap is good bt my previous kojic face i lost was beautiful!! What should i do nd what shouldn’t i dont know jst wanna get my clear skin again 🙁

• June 24, 2015 at 2:49 pm

yes, hot weather would cause for the soap to lose its potency if not stores in the proper temperature. Also, the dryness is probably caused by the super hot weather as well. You just need to use a heavy moisturizer and you should be fine. Everytime that you use a whitening soap, it has the tendency to make your skin thinner due to the fact that it micro exfoliates the skin. You just need to give it more time and please try to stay in a climate-controlled environment.

11. June 14, 2015 at 10:53 pm

Using kojic soap for 6months..papaya kojic lightened my skin..bt from d last few days skin looks darker and brownies.. dont know why does dis happened :(..
    Whats d problem,i dont know..d weather is very hot in my country dis days..probably that could be a reason..what should i do then??should i stop using d soap??or change it?? Pls help me outof dis situation 🙁

• June 15, 2015 at 1:53 am

I noticed that when the country is very hot or if the person who uses the kojic soap stay under the sun, then that person experiences darkness. If the brand has worked for you before, then I would continue using it. The change in skin tone might be temporary.

12. jenny cruz
    May 23, 2015 at 7:38 am

hi can i ask if i can use at the same time the kojic soap and gluthatione soap? is the no side effects if i use it at same time. please i need your advise.. thanks

• June 22, 2015 at 10:32 pm

You can but make sure that you do not stay under the sun and wear a lot of moisturizer.

13. May 17, 2015 at 5:17 pm

Hi!..i m using papaya kojic soap for 5months..kojic lightened my skin ..i m happy with that..but i m feeling that from few days d lighting process slow down 🙁
    Now what should i do?should i switch d soap with glutathione soap?or kojic is good for long term use?or i should increase d time duration of using kojic soap?any addition or something pls suggest me 🙂
    Thnk u..

• May 18, 2015 at 6:25 pm

It’s normal and it happens to everyone. It makes other people feel that it has slowed down the whitening process but the truth is, the skin just kinda got a little thinner and that’s probably it for you. I mean, in reality, you can only lighten 1-3 shades max with topical whitening soaps.

14. aira
    May 5, 2015 at 12:14 pm

Hi. I am 15 years old. I have uneven skin tone. What soap is better for me? 🙂

• beautyregimen
      July 28, 2015 at 3:07 am

Have you tried kojic?

15. shona
    April 16, 2015 at 9:34 am

hello …can i use olive or almond oil.. instead of lotions or moisturizer after using glutathione soap.. if yes then which oil should i use nd why?

• April 16, 2015 at 2:34 pm

Of course. That’s not a problem at all.

16. March 17, 2015 at 7:24 am

Is there anything like,kojic acid and arbutin together nd see faster result,arbutin at morning nd kojic at evening?that will be good one or react when using both?pls any suggestion??thnx for ur nice blog ! 🙂

• March 18, 2015 at 2:27 am

Thanks for the question. There are probably kojic + arbutin soap out there but I’ve never used one. One thing about skin whitening is that there’s really no way to get the results any faster. It really depends on how fast your skin gets used to the whitening actives, the concentration of the product and how consistent you are in using it.

• March 18, 2015 at 5:15 pm

After couple of days using d arbutin i really started liking my papaya kojic soap,that was even faster and gave me one fine radiant looking skin aftr every wash..couple of days are very short period to understand bt somehow papaya kojic acts with me very well..one more question in my mind ,is that very necessary to use sunscreen defore cooking?

• March 28, 2015 at 9:41 pm

Are you asking if it’s necessary to use sunscreen before cooking?

17. March 15, 2015 at 4:30 pm

Hey..i used papaya cojic soap from diana stadlr for last 2months,that product lightened my pigmentation a lot nd lightened my complexion a dit,now i daught one bar of alpha arbutin soap from labdee,its seems good to.with papaya kojic i think it was a bit lazy,bt i need whiten my skin a bit fast..so i do wanna change,i m also using st.dalfour white cream at night.. pls tell me arbutin or kojic acid which one is faster in case of whitening,i m so confused ,pls help me out 🙂 🙁

• March 15, 2015 at 8:48 pm

I like kojic better and I think it works faster.

• March 16, 2015 at 2:33 pm

Thnx for suggesting..:)
        In kojic soaps according to u which one is more effective, MF or dianastdlr?i hv not so dark bt ordinary indian skintone..wanna lighten a little faster 🙁

• March 16, 2015 at 6:39 pm

Marie France. I think that the reason why is actually because DS is made in big batches and it stays in shelves for month or years before it gets sold. But based on what I was told, MF makes it fresh. This is actually good since kojic acid oxidizes quickly and it will not be potent if it’s been sitting in shelves for a very long time.

• Marlone
        March 27, 2015 at 10:28 am

Hi…….. Why does kojie san suck??

• March 28, 2015 at 4:17 pm

Lol… I don’t know what’s the answer to that question since it’s not a brand that I use on my skin in regular basis. However, being an avid kojic acid user, I can tell you that a kojic soap will not work especially if the kojic acid has oxidized already. For example, if Kojie San made a bar of soap a year ago and you just started using it, then it’s probably no longer effective. The reason being is kojic acid oxidizes within six months and of course, it really depends on how the seller stores the soap. If it was stored in a cool place, then it would take for maybe up to a year. However, if it wasn’t, then it would oxidizes and would no longer effective. Another thing why you’re not seeing results could be the length of you use and other factors like sunlight. You would want to use the soap for at least 8 weeks to see results and always AVOID sunlight.

• May 10, 2015 at 6:10 am

Hi . Im From Philippines. Boy 19 Yrs oLd. i have a sensitive Skin. Here is my Question.
            1. Can i use MAXIPEEL Spf20 After using Kojic Original? (ive been using it for a while now like 1week)
            2. Is it okay if i put a johnson baby powder or any powder after using Kojic and applying Maxipeel?
            3. is it okay if i do this procedure first http://www.wikihow.com/Exfoliate-Your-Face then KOJIC and Maxipeel ?
            PLEASE I NEED YOUR FULL RESPOND! 🙂

• June 22, 2015 at 10:50 pm

Kojic and Maxipeel might be a little too strong because Maxipeel is a peeling product and kojic acid soap does the same thing.

• May 10, 2015 at 6:12 am

MAXIPEEL CREAM is what im using..

18. therese
    March 7, 2015 at 3:40 am

Is this marie france products available in the philippines? Where in the philippines?

• March 14, 2015 at 8:37 pm

That I don’t know. You may want to contact them yourself.

19. rusty_ark
    March 3, 2015 at 9:30 am

Hi, i just want to ask..
    I have an oily face, should i still use moiturizer?
    can i just use sunblock cream instead?

thanks in advance

• March 14, 2015 at 8:44 pm

#1.I have an oily face, should i still use moisturizer?

Answer: You have to. Not because you have oily skin means that you have to stop using a moisturizer.

#2.can i just use sunblock cream instead?
      Answer: I think sunblocks contain moisturizers, so yes.

#3. And for the body, does a lotion with spf enough or should i still have to use sunblock lotion?

Answer: It’s always best to wear an extra sunblock protection.

20. February 24, 2015 at 8:55 am

I use to be fair. But after I put to bed I became dark since then. What cream and soap can you recommend for me. So I can go back to my beautiful complexion

• February 28, 2015 at 10:44 pm

What do you mean by “But after I put to bed?”

21. riz
    November 30, 2014 at 5:05 am

hi, so you mean that i can’t lighten my skin if m having my class in a tent?

22. November 22, 2014 at 2:20 am

I have a smooth type of skin on my face but the problem is FRECKLESS,I have that normal skintone. even on my arms you can see freckless. How can I get rid of it. what kind of soap do I need to use. pls help me.

• November 24, 2014 at 3:09 am

I’d suggest the Marie France Kojic Soap and Creme. In your case, it might take between 3-6 months before you see results.

23. nazia naeem
    November 17, 2014 at 8:12 am

i am using glutha soap but it make ma skin dry how long the dryness will last?please reply

• beautyregimen
      July 29, 2015 at 5:07 am

It won’t. You have to use lotion/heavy moisturizer.

24. zee
    August 5, 2014 at 6:39 pm

Hey ! Thanks for this wonderful review very helpful.I would like to ask if it is possible to get the direct website to purchase authentic Likas soaps as http://www.likas.com does not work at all

• August 6, 2014 at 12:54 am

That’s the only URL I have. However, please feel free to search it using Google.

25. Rosy
    August 4, 2014 at 6:24 am

My skin is categorised under sensitive & combination. I want to reduce excess oil on my face, and at the same time i want to lighten pigmentation. Which soaps would you recommend the best?

• August 6, 2014 at 12:54 am

I would recommend the Arbutin Soap, however, note that it takes time before this particular soap lightens the skin.

• Rachel
        March 12, 2015 at 9:16 am

I actually used arbutin just this morning and the results were unbelievable. The whitest part of my body are my legs, and the moment i lathered the soap unto it, effects are already visible! And take note that i only let it on my skin in just 1min and the results were outstanding. I highly recommend arbutin but do remember to properly wash off the soap, moisturize skin and if possible, stay away from the sun.

• Rosy
      August 7, 2014 at 12:39 pm

Thanks for the recommendation. But unfortunately, im curently using SK-II as my daily cleanser. Can i mix using that arbutin soap with my cleanser? Like, i’ll be using arbutin in the morning, and SK-II in the evening?

• August 7, 2014 at 10:14 pm

Yes, you can do it like that.

26. rexa
    June 12, 2014 at 2:29 am

What is the soap you will recommend that can’t cause micro peeling on the sides of the nose and good to use when i’m always exposed to sunlight? Thanks. 🙂

• June 14, 2014 at 1:09 am

I wouldn’t recommend anything to you at all since you stay under the sun. Assuming that your goal is to whiten your skin, why would you want to stay under the sun while using a whitening soap? Staying under too much sunlight will produce darker skin.

27. Jamila
    April 28, 2014 at 6:10 pm

Do you know where I can buy alpha arbutin soap that is sold in the U.S?

28. solange
    February 28, 2014 at 1:55 pm

i leave in cameroon and i dont know the kind or type of oil or saop to care for my skin and i am fair in complexion

29. abraham
    January 8, 2014 at 6:00 am

how can i buy the soap..

30. Maz
    January 2, 2014 at 9:07 pm

Hi just wanted to ask about other reputable brands of glutathione soap. I am currently using royale gluta power. Is this a well known brand and also koji sans ( I think that’s how it’s spelt)

And what is your opinion on Likas papaya soap.
    Many thanks!!!

• January 17, 2014 at 7:58 pm

I’ve never tried Royale before. Per my research, Kojie San has pretty good reviews. I used Likas before but it didn’t really give me a good side effect.

31. Arly
    December 14, 2013 at 9:06 pm

Great Blog!
    I have two questions:
    May i use exfoliant lotion after bathing with glutathione soap?
    May i use exfoliant lotion after bathing with kojic acid soap?

• January 17, 2014 at 8:01 pm

The multifruit exfoliant should be used alone for 3 days. You cannot bathe for 3 days at all. You can use the soap after the skin has started peeling.

32. arly
    December 14, 2013 at 3:48 pm

A very helpful post. Thank you.
    I just have two questions:
    1.May i use exfoliant lotion after bathing with glutathione soap?
    2. May i use exfoliant lotion after bathing with kojic acid soap?

• January 18, 2014 at 8:12 pm

RESPONSE:

A very helpful post. Thank you.
      I just have two questions:
      1.May i use exfoliant lotion after bathing with glutathione soap? Yes. However, the only time you can use the soap is before you apply the multifruit exfoliant and after the skin has finished peeling. Please note that you cannot wash the area that you’re treating for 3 consecutive days and you cannot use any soap until after the skin has finished peeling completely.
      2. May i use exfoliant lotion after bathing with kojic acid soap?

33. Ellen
    October 5, 2013 at 2:15 am

Hi! I have a question. I’m currently using a glutathione whitening soap to whiten my skin, and my skin gets really dry. My question is, how long does it take for my skin to peel off? how long does this dryness last? I really hate having a dry skin. 🙁 Thanks in advance for your reply and God bless.

• October 5, 2013 at 10:18 am

Any skin whitening soap can cause “dryness” to your skin. This “dryness” is actually the micro exfoliating or micro peeling effect of the soap. Most of the time, the peeling effect isn’t noticeable. Do not expect to see it peel like you just had a chemical peel because this isn’t how skin whitening soaps work. Also, you have to apply a moisturizer (face) or lotion (body) after using the soap (THIS IS A MUST), so that the “dryness” isn’t going to be visible and your skin will not feel itchy. Try the DS Whitening Cream or Lotion – these works best with the Gluta soap.

Hope this helps.<

• Ellen
        October 7, 2013 at 12:02 pm

Thanks for the reply. 🙂
        I have another question. I’ve been using the soap for almost two weeks now and I noticed that my skin got even darker. 🙁 I’ve avoided exposing my skin to too much sunlight ever since I started using the soap that’s why I’m wondering how this happened. Is this still one of the effects of whitening soaps? If not, what do you suggest I do about this? Thanks in advance.

• October 13, 2013 at 11:08 pm

Hi,

You stated “I’ve avoided exposing my skin to too much sunlight ever since I started using the soap that’s why I’m wondering how this happened.” Correct me if I’m wrong but it sounds like you still stay under the sun for a short period of time. The question is, do you wear sunblock when you stay under the sun for a short period of time? If not, then this is probably why you’re experiencing some skin darkening rather than whitening. When you’re using skin whitening products, you cannot stay under the sun AT ALL and you always have to use protective clothing.

34. Sunshine Gabuat
    June 11, 2013 at 10:25 pm

Thanks for this! Now i know what soap to buy!

• June 11, 2013 at 10:30 pm

No problem! Thanks for visiting my blog!

Comments are closed.