Vitamin C For Skin Whitening – Better Than Glutathione?

******Updated: I just bought Vitamin C supplement. I will try it for a few months and will post a new review*****

Vitamic C Skin Whitening Supplement

Vitamic C Skin Whitening Supplement

Marie France Skin Brightness Formula for Skin Whitening

Marie France Skin Brightness Formula for Skin Whitening

DISCLAIMER:

This article is my own personal review and should not be taken as a medical advice.

These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Please Note: The material on this site is provided for informational purposes only and is not medical advice. Always consult your physician before taking new supplements or medication.

Recently, I wrote an article about glutathione pills and how it can help in skin whitening process. While searching for more information about glutathione supplements, I came across an article that talks about how taking Vitamin C supplement is more effective in skin whitening than glutathione. The whole article was centered towards the question why you should take Vitamin C rather than glutathione as a skin whitening supplement. I read the article and I was intrigued, so I did my own research.

Why do retailers tell you that you need to take Vitamin C with your glutathione pills?

Whenever I see glutathione pills being marketed as a skin whitening supplement, there’s always a note in the description that states: “you must take twice the amount of Vitamin C for effective skin whitening.” This right here tells you something – if glutathione pills are indeed effective in skin whitening, then why do you have to take Vitamin C? The answer is simple: because glutathione taken by itself cannot whiten your skin. Glutathione oxidizes or loses it effectiveness the moment that you take it orally and this is why glutathione sellers ask you to take Vitamin C with it so that you have a “back up” and you’ll see at least some skin whitening results. But honestly, your skin lightened up because of the Vitamin C supplement that you were taking with it.

What experts say:

I called one of my friends who’s a dermatologist working for a well-known skincare clinic for Filipino celebrities and she did confirm that Vitamin C is much more effective in skin whitening than glutathione. She mentioned that with Vitamin C alone, it’s about 3-6 months or less to see your skin lighten and this is in addition to its skin glowing effect you get from it. Vitamin C supplement is a good antioxidant in addition to its many health benefits.

So why do people buy glutathione supplements rather than Vitamin C?

Because of the manufacturer’s marketing. I see glutathione supplements being marketed everywhere – TV, radio, print ads, commercials, etc. This is why most people think of glutathione as the only skin whitening supplement out there. I know that the price range is actually between $40-$60 per bottle and I call this a RIP OFF! A bottle of Vitamin C is around $30/bottle. Why pay $60 for something that doesn’t work? Why not just buy Vitamin C for $30 and see your skin glow and lighten at the same time? If you still want to buy glutathione supplements, remember this: you’re wasting your money on a supplement that doesn’t work and you’re not going to see any skin whitening results. This is the reality.

So now after reading this article, the question you probably now have is this: which Vitamin C brand should I buy and how much should I take?

The dosage that you should take for skin whitening is 20-40 mg per kg.

For example: for someone who’s 120 lbs: 55kg (120 lbs) x 40mg = 2200mg per day

Your weight in kilograms x 40mg = amount that you should take per day

Conclusion: Vitamin C supplement is more effective in skin whitening than glutathione and I would strongly suggest for you guys to spend your money on something that works rather than getting fooled by taking glutathione. For any questions or concerns, please email me at beautyregimen@gmail.com

107 comments for “Vitamin C For Skin Whitening – Better Than Glutathione?

1. Stella
    November 4, 2016 at 11:50 am

Thanks a lot ladies for the insight into using Vit C it is an antioxidant and it help with anti aging as well you cannot overdose on it cos it is water soluble the excess will just be washed out that being said the goal of all this skin brightening products is to have healthy skin not to look dead like Snow White that is not appealing to any woman or man I am obsessed with wanting to keep my skin glowy forever so using Vit c has a lot of benefits glowy skin just happen to be one. My final words is that yes you can use vit c for a very long time and no harm anything over 3000mg is a waste it should be used 2-3 X a day not all at once cos if you take 3000mg in the morning it will all be washed out before lunchtime dividing the dose keeps it consistent in your system. Happy glory skins ladies and gents alike. I am a nurse and we give vit B12 injections to patients that has a disease called pernicious anemia and vit c 500mg daily for the rest of their life I can tell they have nice skin but not Snow White.

November 8, 2016 at 1:46 am

You are absolutely correct! Note that you should not take Vitamin C a few hours before bedtime as it will keep you up all night long.

2. Omphile
    September 6, 2016 at 10:18 am

Hi. does it matter which brand of vitamin c to take? its not easy finding vitamin c 2000mg in different brands in SA

3. real.beautyqueen
    August 17, 2016 at 8:31 am

I’m currently taking Puritanspride Vitamin C 1000mg formulated/manufactured in USA. Does MF ship here in the Philippines?? Thanks a lot..

August 21, 2016 at 11:26 pm

Sure does..

4. real.beautyqueen
    August 17, 2016 at 8:30 am

hi sis! I saw your blog about vitamin c and glutathione in terms of skin whitening. Its indeed informative.. You know what? I’m with gluta for 8months before but I really didn’t see any significant effect in terms of skin whitening.. I’m back to gluta now and I’m currently trying the gluta drip. I’m done with my 2 session yet there’s no significant effect! and mind you its really expensive. But now I’m trying to stop it since I didn’t and still don’t see any significant effect in terms of whitening. I also read some comments and suggestions in femalenetwork.com (IDK if your familiar) on the thread there some girls talks about glutathione in japan, they’re not really using that as skin whitening because you cannot buy gluta OTC if you don’t have prescription due to some liver problems so they do have their own version of skin whitening supplement which doesn’t contain gluta but instead, it do have some other ingredients for skin whitening, like shisheido purewhite and benefique. (I’m really interested to try it as well). Same girl on the said thread also mentioned that those japanese who are in to “bihaku” or skin whitening increase their vitamin c intake instead of taking glutathione. There are also falls claim about some products distributed here in the Philippines like Metathione which are said to be manufactured/formulated in Japan since you can’t really buy glutathione OTC there and same products are also not available in their market. Glutathione is indeed a master anti-oxidant but it doesn’t work that much in skin whitening. I believe that Vitamin C is indeed more effective in terms of skin whitening with right dosage. I’ll do more research about vitamin C and I hope to talk to you soon so we could also share helpful information about this.. 🤗😊☺️

August 21, 2016 at 11:36 pm

I’m not really a fan of glutathione especially the injectable. I find it to be extreme. I do use skin whitening products on my skin and honestly, Vitamin C supplements in combination with whitening soap and cream are so much more effective than glutathione pills or IV. I heard that too about women in Japan. I find it really funny since their skin is sooo fair already. Not sure why they would want to lighten their skin more.

• karen capulong
        September 15, 2016 at 12:11 am

which one? sodium ascorbate or ascorbic acid? thanks

September 28, 2016 at 9:46 pm

Ascorbic acid

5. jesusita
    August 8, 2016 at 5:50 am

In saudi have Vit C for whitening

August 8, 2016 at 9:45 am

Ofcourse.

6. June 22, 2016 at 4:17 am

Hello. Does anyone know if Puritan’s pride vitamin c work for skin whitening. Pls reply Asap.

July 12, 2016 at 11:41 pm

Hi Mhiz. I don’t know to be honest.

7. Sam
    June 4, 2016 at 8:43 am

Hey,I’m white totally but my forearms,neck and face are also tanned so in how much time would I be able to become the victim of skin whitening process…plz reply

July 12, 2016 at 11:54 pm

Hi Sam. You should use topical products on those areas. Do you stay under the sun?

8. Loretta
    March 20, 2016 at 6:06 am

Hey! I would like to know if I have to use the given supplement brand above or can I just use regular vitamin C ?

March 20, 2016 at 4:30 pm

Hi! I’ve tried to use a regular Vitamin C supplement before but it didn’t work for me. I would suggest to use the same brand as I’m using.

• loretta
        April 10, 2016 at 12:45 pm

where can i purchase the original product? and how long does it take to see visible results?

• Loretta
        May 29, 2016 at 10:13 am

Are the results good? And is it really safe to use this product?

July 12, 2016 at 11:57 pm

Hello. I find it to be really good and I’ve never had any problems with it. If you’re on meds, then consult your doc.

9. Shonaya
    March 10, 2016 at 12:50 am

I am from india skin colour is browninsh but not dark so 1000mg vit c is enough?? and how many days it will take to lighten my skin???

March 19, 2016 at 2:04 am

Hi. I can’t tell you how many days it will take but I can certainly tell you that depending on your skin color, it might take months. There’s no product out there that can lighten your skin in days.

10. Ayeza
    October 27, 2015 at 6:48 am

i weight approximately 55 kg. Will 1000mg once a day would be enough as I am already medium tan and want to lighten 3 shades only

October 27, 2015 at 2:55 pm

That should be enough but you know what? You should take Vitamin C for skin whitening in addition to using topical products.

11. sristy
    May 6, 2015 at 10:31 am

please help i am in a deliemna

12. sristy
    May 6, 2015 at 10:27 am

hey , are you sure there isnt no need to take glutathion ?

• beautyregimen
      July 28, 2015 at 3:06 am

Vitamin C worked out just fine for me. What supplements are you taking right now?

13. shiva anisa
    May 5, 2015 at 11:45 pm

Hi

14. shiva anisa
    May 5, 2015 at 11:33 pm

Hi im shiva from indonesia,,i just want to ask my little confuse about how to whiten skin,,,im medium dark .long time ago ive do iv treatment six month with 1000mg vit c n 600mg tation per week,,,and no result,,,after that i upgrade my dosage to 2000 vit c i use derma c iv brand and just one mont i see good result,,,but after i finish 10x iv im quit cos im afraid something happen in my kidney,,,plise giv me advise i want to hve good skin again but im stiil afraid about kidney stone,,,can u giv me solution what oral drink vit c should i buy which it result is better from doing iv,,many thanks for reply

• beautyregimen
      July 28, 2015 at 3:07 am

I think you should consult your doctor asap. I am seriously against Glutathione injections.

15. Lee
    March 28, 2015 at 6:13 pm

I dont take any medication or anything, a healthy individual thus I would like to take this.
    I seen you mentioned MF vitamin C, what does MF stands for because I tried googling it and it came up with many random things. Or do you have other brands to recommend and which one are you using. I see it changed people drastically because they were tan, I am scared it will do no effect because I am east Asian and my skin is not tan but more like a beige, but I want to be white as snow.

Thanks

• March 28, 2015 at 9:12 pm

MF stands for Marie France

• RonPW
      February 28, 2016 at 3:53 pm

Why white as snow? No one is really that white unless they’re a corpse after their already very pale skin has lightened post mortem.

16. Cake lover
    March 15, 2015 at 6:16 pm

Okay kojic is more stronger? Okay. So

That is the pills i just started taking. So we need to take 2000 mg? So 4 pills throughout the day? Isn’t that an overdose? I read the side effects and they are nausea and kidney stones and others, so I’m afriad to take that amount because of the side effects. What about vit c powder.? And I think I’ll take the 4 vit c pills every day while using kojic soap.what amount wud be considered an overdose? I’m 133.6 lbs so how much vit c shud i take ? And I live in a sunny area CA, but wear sunscreen 110 spf whenever I go out in the sun, but I barely go in the sun, if anything i go to 2-5 mins, from the bus stop in the morning and back in the afternoon, and at school, i stay in shaded area always, even at home, I BARELY go out, never without sunscreen , can I still use kojic soap ? cuz i know u can’t go in the sun, and can u reccomend a good site with REAL Kojic soap, idk where to find real kojic soap, thanks so much

• March 15, 2015 at 7:55 pm

I, myself, takes 2000 mg and it does work for me. However, I cannot say that you should do it too since it may interfere with other medications (if you’re taking any) and you should consult with your doctor prior to taking any new medication.

Regarding the kojic soap: you should always protect your skin from sunlight every time you go out even though you’re only out for a few minutes.

• Cake lover
        March 15, 2015 at 8:19 pm

Okay, I DO NOT TAKE other meds, i just take vitamins like one a day women and calcium and such and such. Did u have to consult with your doctor as well?

And are you saying I should never go in the sun ever again? That part is a bit unclear but no matter what , I’ll always wear sunblock even if it is for a few minutes. Do you re apply sunscreen with in a few hours or just put it on and leave it on for the whole day? Do you ever still go in the sun anymore after using kojic soap or do you avoid the sun 24/7 as much as possible? Thanks

• March 15, 2015 at 8:42 pm

I did. I take other meds so I had to ask my doctor especially about the dosage that I’m taking. I would strongly suggest for you to ask him/her to see if it’s ok to take 2000mg. Believe it or not but I do not stay under the sun at all. When I get out, the sun is down already. I think this is the reason why the kojic soap has worked well for me.

• Cake lover
            March 15, 2015 at 9:13 pm

Aww, so what are you trying to say, I should not use kojic soap? 🙁 , do you have any other alternatives to skin whitening that would work for going in the sun for even a few mintues? Or wud it still be okay to use kojic soap while going in the sun for a few minutes wearing sunblock?

Do u use kojic SOAP OR PAPAYA KOJIC SOAP? which ones better and stronger , the one u suggest?

• March 15, 2015 at 9:17 pm

If you can wear something to cover the area where you’re using the kojic soap, then go ahead and use it. I use kojic soap.

• Cake lover
                March 15, 2015 at 9:31 pm

Ok great! I can cover up, but how do i cover up my face? Lol.
                Why don’t u use kojic papaya soap? //beautyregimenblog.com/2012/08/18/what-is-the-difference-between-kojic-acid-soap-and-papaya-kojic-acid-soap/
                U did a blog saying papaya kojic soap has way more benefits, so y kojic soap? Is kojic soap more effective than papaya kojic soap?

And do u have any before and after pics for using kojic soap. Any pics of ur arms or just any pics?

And can u give a link to where u buy ur soap pls? Thanks

• March 16, 2015 at 6:41 pm

I used the DS papaya soap before until I discovered the MF brand, that’s why I said I used the papaya soap before. I’ll look at my other files to see if I have any then I will post it.

• Jojo
            March 21, 2015 at 8:04 pm

Wait u never go under the sun? Can’t u get osteoporosis by never getting sunlight??

• March 28, 2015 at 9:35 pm

I take Vitamin D supplement and drink a lot of milk. I was never a fan of sunlight and the beach.

• October 25, 2016 at 1:01 pm

Hey are you kidding?? Man evolved in the sun – our bodies need vitamin D which is produced mainly by sunlight on our skin Vitamin D is more than a vitamin it is a pre-hormone, we need it to fight all sorts of infections and diseases. Vitamin D deficiency has increased since we have been told to smother on (carcinogenic) sun screens. Don’t be afraid to go in the sun – just don’t go red. Check out the Vitamin D council, Mark’s Daily Apple, etc etc.

October 25, 2016 at 9:16 pm

Of course there’s nothing wrong staying under the sun. However, everyone should avoid sunlight from 10 am to 2 pm. Even if your skin doesn’t turn red, it doesn’t mean that you didn’t get “burned.” I would strong suggest to avoid if as much as possible and take Vitamin D supplements instead.

17. Cake lover
    March 14, 2015 at 8:41 pm

Can I use glutathione with vit c caps? Will it be more effective? I want to whiten ASAP, or will kojic be faster and more effective?

• Cake lover
      March 14, 2015 at 8:42 pm

What about gluthatione soap? Is that more effective than kojic acid?

• March 14, 2015 at 8:49 pm

I used both before and I find kojic soap to be more effective than Gluta. It’s stronger.

• Cake lover
          March 15, 2015 at 6:09 pm

Okay kojic is more stronger? Okay. So

• March 14, 2015 at 8:50 pm

You can use whatever brand, however, there’s no such supplement that will make you white in a couple of days. There’s really no way to expedite the whitening process since it’s gradual.

18. Gary
    March 2, 2015 at 3:36 pm

BRAVO !

19. jeff
    February 27, 2015 at 12:30 pm

ok thanks

20. fem
    February 15, 2015 at 10:10 pm

Hi ! I’m starting to take 2000mg everyday of Kirkland Signature Vit. C .. do you think this supplement is effective ?

• February 28, 2015 at 11:00 pm

I’ve never tried it myself so I don’t know.

21. bey
    January 26, 2015 at 9:08 pm

Hello dear, thnx somch for the enlightenment ovr vitamin c, can u jus giv me yo recommendations on whr to order, they hav to provide shipping as wel coz m in S.A, thnx a bunch

22. zehra ali
    January 19, 2015 at 5:14 am

I love taking vitamin C its so good for my skin n for my stretch marks too am taking 500 mcg ny GNC brand

23. archana rathod
    January 19, 2015 at 4:41 am

hey this product is not available in india pls help me

• March 16, 2015 at 6:45 pm

Not sure but I think MF delivers worldwide. You’ll need to check with them though.

24. REHEED
    December 28, 2014 at 1:22 am

Hi…….
    can i used any ordinary vitamin c and i can see the result as you r getting through M F skin Brightening formula……… bcoz i didn’t get that M F product in my country ………. plz reply

• December 28, 2014 at 11:32 pm

You may but of course, you want something with Bioflavonoids like MF because it’s another reform of Vit C and it’s also anti aging. I think they ship it to you if you place an order.

25. asif
    December 27, 2014 at 3:41 pm

Hi…..
    Can I use ordinary vitamin c for skin whitening… and I can see the result. Bcoz whatever product u r mention I is not available here in dubai…

• December 28, 2014 at 11:33 pm

You can but I can’t tell you if it’s gonna work. I think MF ships the products worldwide.

26. geeta
    December 11, 2014 at 3:03 am

hie from where i can get this vitamin c in india

27. Rahul
    December 9, 2014 at 9:54 pm

hey ama guy with a complexion somewhat like south american..fair skin though..but i want to look white..is it possible?

• January 3, 2015 at 2:38 am

When you say “I want to look white,” are you saying that you want to go from your skin tone now to Michael Jackson’s skin tone?

28. Paul Gaynor
    December 9, 2014 at 2:39 pm

Is taking any vitamin c whiten your skin

• January 3, 2015 at 2:38 am

In my experience, it lightened my skin and removed my skin blemishes.

29. Tun tang
    December 7, 2014 at 10:18 am

Thanks so much for the useful info May i check how long should we take high dosage of 2000mg/day Should we stop after six months or we should continue to take forever? Many thanks

30. December 5, 2014 at 8:39 am

Hi! I calculated and I need 3120mg. How many mg per MF tablet and how do you take them in a day? So let’s say I need 4 tablets, do you take 2 in the morning and 2 again the afternoon or just take them in one go? Cheers!

• beautyregimen
      July 29, 2015 at 5:06 am

I only 2 tablets per day.

31. November 24, 2014 at 10:42 pm

How many vitamin c supplements do you take a day to get your desired results.1 or 2

32. November 24, 2014 at 10:41 pm

How many supplements of vitamin c do you take a day to achieve your results?

33. November 24, 2014 at 10:23 pm

Hello how many vitamin c supplement do you take to achieve your results?

• beautyregimen
      July 29, 2015 at 5:05 am

I take two tablets a day.

34. YM
    November 19, 2014 at 1:48 pm

Hello, you have a wonderful post with helpful information.
    I have a small question: will your skin continue to lighten the longer you use the supplement, or will it stop whitening after a certain point?? And also, will any Vitamin C suplement work, or does it have to be a commercial one like Marie France?
    Please answer, and thank you!

• November 24, 2014 at 10:53 pm

Hi,

The longer you take Vitamin C, the lighter your skin will be. I cannot speak about other Vitamin C supplements because I’ve never tried them. However, one thing I like about the MF Vitamin C supplement is it contains anti-aging ingredients.

35. Superman146
    November 15, 2014 at 11:01 pm

I am going to purchase right away, but i wanted to know have you tried any other whitening/lightening products by marie france

• November 16, 2014 at 3:43 am

Hi,

Yes, I have. I’ve tried the whitening kits that they have for intimate areas.

36. honorine
    November 3, 2014 at 4:43 am

are u gox to take it all your life or only for 6months. Those it also have any after effect like barenness

• November 11, 2014 at 2:43 am

I would suggest taking it everyday until you are satisfied with the results.

37. Sachin Borude
    May 24, 2014 at 11:51 am

Can Vitamin C also helps to reduce dark lips and it can changes to soften pinkish red lips ..??

• May 28, 2014 at 3:54 am

The primary use of Vitamin C is to lighten skin tone. However, it may also help lighten dark lips. I’m not sure about this one though.

38. Sachin Borude
    May 24, 2014 at 11:26 am

hii ..i have one question…most of glutathione site,product says that glutathione not only brighten your skin it also help to reduce,removes acne ,acne marks ,acne scars freakles,melasma,wrinkles ,dark lips,and its anti -aging too..my question is here that you said only vitaminC is required for whiten skin but what about other problems which i mentioned above like remove scars and get radiant,pinkish skin ….
    Can Vitamin C also help to reduce such problem expect whiten skin..?? thanku…

• May 28, 2014 at 3:56 am

Vitamin C lightens your skin tone so it will help fade those skin problems. However, you may want to use topical creams for the acne to help control it.

39. May 6, 2014 at 11:52 pm

Hey Guys, This is Tina , and I am from U.S. I was just wondering if anyone of you have tried Luxxe White Enhnaced Glutathione product. This product is sold in Phillipines alot. So, is this product really effective?

• May 11, 2014 at 4:14 am

Hi Tina,

Like what I blogged before, glutathione caps are not as effective as Vitamin C caps. Why spend so much money on glutathione supplements if you can buy a Vitamin C caps and see the results within 3 months?

40. April 16, 2014 at 12:57 am

as a soaper i find it effective to add vitamin C which is cheaper instead of gluta..and results are encouraging, it lightens skin without the peeling effect…

• April 16, 2014 at 4:26 pm

I agree. Sames goes for supplements. No need to take glutathione – Vitamin C itself whitens the skin.

41. Mary Rose
    February 17, 2014 at 4:02 am

What kind of Vitamin C should I have to take to whitens my skin?

42. Jen
    January 8, 2014 at 3:06 am

the reason why some people recommends glutathione (with the vitamin C) is because it slows down the production of melanin which is an advantage to those who live in a hot climate.

• January 17, 2014 at 7:57 pm

That is true, however, same thing goes for Vitamin C. In fact, taking Vitamin C alone can whiten your skin faster than taking glutathione pills. No need for glutathione.

• January 17, 2014 at 7:57 pm

• honorine
        November 4, 2014 at 11:45 am

for how long will I take the vitamin c

• November 11, 2014 at 2:41 am

Depends on your skin. I’ve been taking it f or over six months and have seen tremendous results.

• Marvel
            October 11, 2016 at 7:13 am

Hi I was using a topical whitening cream with Neutrotone tube that made me white in a fiew weeks for months. I stoped using the products for like 3 months and now I’m darker than before so pls I need your help. I want my skin to be white again

October 12, 2016 at 11:56 pm

Hi Marvel. Does it have hydroquinone in it?